In the last 3 posts (here, here, and here) of this series, we’ve developed a basic but fundamental understanding of the dynamics of human cognition, and of some of the basic boundary conditions which determine mass human psychology. In the most recent post, we learned that the most fundamental cognitive dissonance is defined when the mind is used to negate the mind – when you believe in ideas which are based on believing that the mind is evil, or that it doesn’t actually exist, or that it isn’t important or valuable, etc. Now we’ll see in the following essay that this fundamental dissonance of mind-negation is at the very heart of climate alarm.
(I’ll note that this issue of mind-negation is not something really practiced by modern Christians; the torture of the Inquisition had been reversed, in the end, by Protestantism, which is regular people reading the bible and (re) interpreting it in a (mostly) life-affirming and mind-affirming context. The Christianity of today is nothing like what it was at the height of the Catholic Church…who’s height is actually defined at the same time period as it was at its most brutal and mind-negating in public policy. Protestantism transformed Christianity and for the most part I have every respect and likeness for the life-affirming interpretations of Protestant Biblicism in so far as they exist. What is important for me is that life is valued, that mind is valued, and that “the good” is valued, and you will see that those are the basis of the criticisms I had for those negatory aspects of Abrahamism in my last post. But with Gnostic Illuminism, you can go much further in the positive affirmation of mind and life via the rationalization, based on ontological mathematics and the integration of all philosophy, which it educates you about. Protestantism will still always be limited, in that as good as you are and as good as that god is said to be, you are still a subject to a master, and the threat of Hell or even “bad Karma” still exists. You can do away with all that by affirming that YOU have the capacity for rational moral choice. In so far as Gnostic Illuminism insists (and correctly, in the end) that the Abrahamic religions are irrational and even evil, I do not judge such of practicing Abrahamists unless they actually do something outwardly irrational and evil that affects other people, as you would judge of any person. This world is a very confusing place and it barely makes any sense at all; that Protestants are (mostly) life-affirming and more-or-less freedom-loving at the core is a value.)
On the mind and Changing Climate
The climate has always changed; every single living species on the planet plays a role in changing the environment and the climate and always has; every single species that has ever existed is extinct, or is about to go extinct in geologic terms; the universe and evolution created human minds; only the human mind has a non-random potential to escape extinction. Other species might randomly and accidentally escape extinction for long periods, but none of them will escape extinction when the Sun expires, and 99.999% of existing species won’t even make it that far. The universe, evolution, produced the conscious & willfully creative mind, and only that mind has the potential to escape extinction, to represent an immortal species. It is inevitable that evolution would eventually produce such a species. We have been invested with something by nature, by evolution, and by the universe. We have been invested with the ability to consciously and willfully shape the universe around us to augment our probability of survival. The only evolutionary advantage of having a conscious and willful mind is the very ability to change the environment around it to improve its ability to survive. This is the only evolutionary use in having a mind. Any other conscious species does the same. When it comes to real self-awareness and conscious creativity, such a mind will explore outer space and through our minds the universe learns of its own nature, and the mind its own nature.
We have been divested of fur, of claws, of stamina, of strength, of fangs, etc., and no combination of those things is as powerful as the willful mind which the universe has come to invest in us. The purpose of the mind is to exist, and to exist in the context of the powers which it has been given by that which created it, by definition. That context is the ability to understand and then to change and modify the environment. The conscious mind is the only thing that matters in this universe, because the universe will forget every-single-other species without mind as they inevitably go extinct. Extinction is the norm and guarantee for everything…except for conscious human minds changing the environment.
This greenieism and climate change alarmism and this whole philosophy of guilt over a naturally changing environment are a direct-frontal attack on the human mind, and therefore on human existence itself. It is no less than that. What does the mind do? The mind does what every single other species engages in: the biomigration of atoms, the altering of the outside environment, the modification of the climate, the transformation of inert lithospheric components into biospheric resources. This is what every living thing does, and it only appears “balanced” because geologic time is so long and human lives so short. There didn’t used to be an oxygen atmosphere; what did that? There didn’t used to be iron ore deposits; what did that? There is no mythical “balance” in nature, because species have constantly went and are going extinct, and the lithospheric and biospheric systems have constantly been modified and changed. The human mind wields this power of change as a willful and conscious and purposeful act, for augmenting the probability of its survival, in real time, and quickly. This is a moral good. It is an inevitable good of consciousness. And there is zero evidence that the global climate is changing in a historically unprecedented way – not that that would automatically be something “bad” in any case.
Greenieism is extinction. Any species that was a “greenie” in the past is extinct, and is guaranteed to go extinct. No living thing can survive without modifying the environment around it; this always permanently changes the system, and there has never been any equilibrium because the system has always been changing and species have always been going extinct.
The greenies aren’t attacking humans with bullets, knives, and wars (well, many of them are, actually), they are attacking humans at a much more fundamental and lethal level: they are attacking the single thing that our minds are actually good for, the single thing our minds are meant for, they are attacking the single thing the mind evolved for: the ability to willfully, actively, quickly, and radically, modify the environment to augment its survival. These things manifest in the universe as bridges, canals, vehicles, airplanes, high-productivity-density agriculture and animal husbandry, roadways, ships, fire, etc. etc., and carbon dioxide is the basis of all of those, and is the basis of life itself. All of these are augmented in the healthy mind by mathematics, philosophy, science, engineering, education, art, etc. The climate alarmists are instead trying to negate the human mind. Why don’t they realize that even a cursory understanding of their beloved “Gaia” theory would have to indicate that “mother Earth” created human beings on purpose, in order to help replenish the stock of CO2 in the atmosphere which had almost disappeared which would have caused the mass and final extinction? They don’t want to believe in anything good because their true goal is that they want to murder humans, as we will see below; that is what drives them.
I don’t personally believe in any religion using such terms, but the only appellation which fits what this greenie movement represents is “Satanic”; it is no better than the ultimate evil, in contradiction to the very basis of existence and mind itself. Going to wind/solar represents a direct assault in the power of the human mind, in the ability of the mind and the human species to live beyond the limitations set by the inert lithosphere. It is a decrease in the energy flux density controlled by the species, and 7 billion of us could not survive with this type of power. It is as simple as that: wind and solar cannot support 7 billion people and it cannot support high technology. It is very simply and very directly, genocidal. It’s a complete farce, a complete trick: using modern technology to go backwards. And then once you go backwards, once you lose the high energy flux density technology and lose the population, then you go backwards even more, because there will be nothing to support and repair the wind and solar technology. Wind and solar technology can only be produced from nuclear and “fossil-fuel” power. It is an evolutionary dead end, just what the greenies want for humanity as a whole. They negate the mind, they negate evolution, they hate what evolution produces, they hate all living things in fact because all living things radically modify the environment, even the lowliest bacterium. They must hate their own existence. They are a pestilence unto themselves, and they hate themselves for it, along with everyone else.
High-density-energy production is the most fundamental manifestation of the mind that augments its probability for survival, its power of survival, and its well-being. There is no more obvious direct attack on the human mind, on evolution and the teleology of the universe itself, than the greenie push towards low-density-energy production and usage. The greenies want us to live at the biological standard of the lithosphere, which is no standard at all!: the wind, the random wind, and the random sunshine getting through the clouds. The only thing the mind is good for is for allowing its host to live beyond such limitations of the lithosphere and the biosphere: to live in the noosphere. The noosphere ultimately does the exact same things as the lithosphere and biosphere – the biogenic migration of atoms, and the modification of the environment – it just does it a lot more efficiently, and with intent…the willful intent to survive. And this is what climate change alarmism is attacking. The idea that we shouldn’t change the environment, is the idea that we shouldn’t use, and thus have, a mind.
Other examples of cognitive dissonance in climate alarm:
- Greenhouse gases radiate and therefore shed energy and can cool, while non-GHG’s don’t radiate and therefore can’t shed energy and can’t cool. Impeccable logic. However, GHG’s are said to trap energy and cause heating while non-GHG’s are said to not trap energy. The beliefs are completely opposite of reality!
- The GHE is said to provide the warmth to sustain the planet and all life, but if you provoke the GHE (with the products of the human mind, i.e. modern energy usage, etc.) then the GHE will destroy the planet and be very scary and will punish you. This is very similar to the traditional Abrahamic god.
- The element carbon is vilified and said to be evil pollution, but carbon is the basis element which creates DNA and therefore all life.
- Carbon dioxide is vilified and said to be evil pollution (is it coincidental that carbon dioxide is also a direct metric to gauge standard of living?), but CO2 is the basis of the biosphere and is green plant food, and more CO2 means that plants and therefore all life will benefit, just like inside a greenhouse.
Bringing it back to the dialectic, the mind-negation of climate change is the analogy to the mind-negation of Abrahamism. If mind-negation is the anti-thesis then the thesis is the natural and inevitable drive to use the mind. We still see the fundamental cognitive dissonance of using the mind to hold ideas which negate the mind. According to the Gnostic history of the last few thousand years, the synthesis was achieved when a person became self-aware and self-affirming enough to reject the mind-negating aspects of Abrahamism, that they transformed their slavery into self-mastery and thus became eligible to “win” the quest of the Holy Grail. It was in breaking through this manufactured idea that you were selling your immortal soul to Satan. Read Faust by Goethe. The path to god-hood (Gnosis) was reserved to those who set no limitations of themselves, without fear. This new religion is being set up the exact same way.
The difference with the type of mind-negation as seen in Abrahamism vs. that of climate alarmism is that climate alarmism is much more destructive and actively nihilistic. In Abrahamism, at least the general consensus was that you should value life, freedom, free-will, self and communal development, and for the last few hundred years even the products of science, technology and energy, have been highly valued and promoted under religion. Climate alarm goes far beyond the quaint mind-negation of Abrahamism and takes everything of value away from human life. What do we see? Depopulate! Deindustrialize! Don’t take hot baths! Don’t flush the toilet! Don’t drive! Don’t fly! Don’t go hunting! Don’t go fishing! Don’t have camp fires! Don’t think independently! Don’t be unique! Don’t be a denier (where a denier is defined as someone who actually cogitates independently and uniquely)! Don’t breathe too much! Don’t heat your house! Don’t cool your house! Don’t do ANYTHING at all. Don’t do anything at all or else the greenhouse God will punish humanity and the Earth! Don’t you feel guilty for that? Feel guilty! Your sin is CO2! You’re going to explode the planet!
Greenie Environmentalism is the Negation of Mind
So let’s make this very clear: Greenie environmentalists are negators of the mind. In other words, they’re idiots, complete and utter idiots. They know nothing of the way the actual real world works and has worked and what it has done in the past, and what it currently takes to keep them alive. I know lots of them and I live around them and they’re brain dead. All you have to do is talk to them to see that they’re brain dead. They don’t have high quality thoughts, and they don’t engage in high quality mentation. They do not believe that there is such a thing as high quality mentation vs. low quality mentation and distinguishing it, because in their nihilism they believe that value is a meaningless illusion and everything is equal in meaninglessness…even though they use the valuable products of the mind everyday and even though such is a “value” they choose to have. They all use iPods, iPhones, and watch “Jack-Ass fail” youtube videos at lunch time (these are called “fail” videos because they’re recordings of people falling off of bicycles, skateboards, shopping carts and the like, and hurting themselves, and they laugh at this stuff like rabid hyenas especially when a man is seen to be getting “sacked”). This is your average liberal greenie environmentalist. It is not high-quality mentation. It is Idiocracy, The Movie.
Put another way, greenie environmentalism is the extinction of the mind and therefore of humanity. Just look at the types of things that real, unabashed greenie environmentalists say, openly, in public:
- “If I were reincarnated I would wish to be returned to earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels.” Prince Phillip, head of the ‘World Wildlife Fund’
- “Phasing out the human race will solve every problem on earth, social and environmental.” David Foreman, founder ‘Earth First’
- “To feed a starving child is to exacerbate the world population problem.” - Lamont Cole, environmentalist and author
- “I suspect that eradicating smallpox was wrong. It played an important part in balancing ecosystems.” John Davis, environmental author and leader
- “My own doubts came when DDT was introduced. In Guyana, within two years, it had almost eliminated malaria. So my chief quarrel with DDT, in hindsight, is that it has greatly added to the population problem.” Alexander King, speaking for the ‘Club of Rome’
- “Human happiness, and certainly human fecundity, is not as important as a wild and healthy planet…Some of us can only hope for the right virus to come along.” David Graber, biologist, ‘National Park Service’
- “You think Hiroshima was bad, let me tell you, mister, Hiroshima wasn’t bad enough!” Faye Dunaway, speaking as ‘The Voice of the Planet’, WTBS series.
- “Childbearing [should be] a punishable crime against society.” David Brower, founder ‘Friends of the Earth’.
- “[B]ad times, you may say, are exceptional, and can be dealt with by exceptional methods. This has been more or less true during the honeymoon period of industrialism, but it will not remain true unless the increase of population can be enormously diminished. At present the population of the world is increasing at about 58,000 per diem. War, so far, has had no very great effect on this increase, which continued through each of the world wars… War…has hitherto been disappointing in this respect…but perhaps bacteriological war may prove more effective. If a Black Death could spread throughout the world once in every generation, survivors could procreate freely without making the world too full… The state of affairs might be somewhat unpleasant, but what of it? Really high-minded people are indifferent to happiness, especially other people’s.” Lord Bertrand Russell, ‘The Impact of Science on Society’
- “…a motivation must be found to bring the divided nations together to face an outside enemy, either a real one or else one invented for the purpose. New enemies therefore have to be identified. New strategies imagined, new weapons devised. The common enemy of humanity is man. In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill. … The real enemy then, is humanity itself. …democracy is no longer well suited for the tasks ahead. The complexity and the technical nature of many of today’s problems do not always allow elected representatives to make competent decisions at the right time” Club of Rome, ‘The First Global Revolution’
- “We’ve got to ride this global warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing…” Timothy Wirth, president of the ‘UN Foundation’
- “Isn’t the only hope for the planet that the industrialized civilizations collapse? Isn’t it our responsibility to bring that about?” Maurice Strong, founder of the ‘UN Environment Programme’
- “We can’t let other countries have the same number of cars, the amount of industrialization, we have in the US. We have to stop these Third World countries right where they are.” Michael Oppenheimer, ‘Environmental Defense Fund’
- “Global Sustainability requires the deliberate quest of poverty, reduced resource consumption and set levels of mortality control.” Professor Maurice King
- “Complex technology of any sort is an assault on human dignity. It would be little short of disastrous for us to discover a source of clean, cheap, abundant energy…” Amory Lovins, ‘Rocky Mountain Institute’
- “The prospect of cheap fusion energy is the worst thing that could happen to the planet.” Jeremy Rifkin, ‘Greenhouse Crisis Foundation’
- “The big threat to the planet is people: there are too many, doing too well economically…” Sir James Lovelock, BBC Interview
- “My…main goals would be to reduce human population to about 100 million worldwide, [&] destroy the industrial infrastructure…” Dave Foreman, co-founder of ‘Earth First!’
- “Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs.” John Davis, editor of ‘Earth First! Journal’
- “I don’t claim to have any special interest in natural history, but as a boy I was made aware of the annual fluctuations in the number of game animals and the need to adjust the cull to the size of the surplus population.” Prince Philip, preface of ‘Down to Earth’
- “The extinction of the human species may not only be inevitable but a good thing.” Christopher Manes, ‘Earth First!’
- “Christianity is our foe. If animal rights is to succeed, we must destroy the Judeo-Christian Religious tradition.” Peter Singer, founder of ‘Animal Rights’
Have you ever encountered such evil at the basis of such a large fad? This goes far beyond Nazism. On that last point above, that’s why I want Abrahamists to understand what’s happening. Even though I wrote all that critical stuff about Abrahamism, I want you to understand that this is how the “powers that be” think that you think. But an even bigger point is in understanding that this is exactly why typical atheist liberals are so taken in by climate alarmism: they do still have the same archetypal and dialectical belief patterns of cognitive dissonance. They are taken in by climate alarm because climate alarm allows them to satisfy all of the cognitive dissonance requirements that the Abrahamic religions already fulfill for religious people (that is why alarmism doesn’t work on religious people!). It gives them a new religion but because they’re so nihilistic and because their quality of mentation is so low, yet the fools believe themselves to be wise, they are incapable of understanding simple things such as ice-ages and interglacials, warm periods and cold periods, that the Sun heats the Earth and cosmic rays affect the clouds, that history is longer than since you turned 15, that large financial interests exist that don’t have your interest in mind, that carbon dioxide is plant food, etc etc etc. They are completely taken in by the “fear-porn” of climate alarm and it really is not fundamentally different than the threats of hell and torture of traditional Abrahamism; it’s the same religion just updated to a 3rd Millennium standard of vocabulary. I’ll go with the life-affirming Abrahamists long before I go along with the humanity-denying fear and idiocy of climate alarm. If there’s an environmental problem there’s only one way to solve it: with scientific technological energy development to higher levels of energy flux density power production, adaptation and mitigation, and improvement of land usage with canals and water ways, and high density transport systems, etc. Alarmist environmentalists want to get rid of the human mind instead.